Monday, August 6, 2007

The A's weekend that was

It's Monday and there's a lot to talk about.

Let's start with the games. So the A's split the series against the Angels. It would've been nice to win with a convincing three out of four, but I'm sure the Angels felt they should have won Saturday. The A's beat them that day on seven walks and two hits. Ha! Makes me laugh. That's what makes opposing teams go "Aaaarrrrghh!"

Two things happened this past weekend with regard to waivers. Mike Piazza cleared, and Joe Kennedy did not. The A's didn't pull Kennedy back when he was claimed by Arizona, so Joe is now a Diamondback. I think the A's were pretty much content to be rid of him one way or another. I am not shedding any tears over this.

As for Piazza, well, his clearing waivers pretty much means a trade is imminent. Hopefully it's not for a bag of peanuts, but I do know a bag of peanuts would clear waivers. As long as Billy thinks whatever he can get for Piazza is more valuable than whatever draft compensation we'd get, it'll happen. That's good because it should mean less Jack Cust in the outfield. It's just not a pretty sight and I wouldn't mind not seeing that for the rest of the year.

And finally, Milton Bradley is spouting off about Billy Beane and the A's organization. Is anyone surprised? I'm not. Milton seemed like a decent guy and a good player when he was here and when he actually played. He didn't exactly leave on the best terms, so I would expect some comments from him. Sadly, the race comments don't surprise me either, given Milton's history.

Hopefully the A's can move on from this distraction and continue working towards getting to .500. Today they're back on the road in Texas - Dallas Braden vs. former A John Rhienecker.

Go A's!!

No comments: