Wednesday, August 15, 2007

3-2

That's how the A's have gone since I blogged last. That's not bad at all, considering four of those five games were against the mighty Detroit Tigers.

Let's talk about a few things:

Jack Cust - I have been extremely wary of Cust's success this season, even when he was tearing it up back in May. I mean really - this guy has been a minor league lifer. Surely the league will figure him out. And I was right - he's gone through his ups and downs, as I've watched his at-bats with a critical eye. But I'm ready to give Cust his due props. Here we are on August 15, and he is far and away the A's offensive hero. He leads the team in every category that has to do with hitting the ball a long way. The question is, can he keep it up in '08? He has definitely secured the DH job for next year already. Let's just see if this late bloomer can make something resembling a career now.

Jack Hannahan - Who? He was the A's starting third baseman last night against the White Sox, and looks to play more games there with Eric Chavez out. Fine with me - there's really no reason to not give the guy a shot. The A's traded for this Detroit minor league veteran Monday likely for this reason. There is far less reason for Marco Scutaro to be playing third right now, so it was a good move.

Esteban Loaiza - It sounds like he's on the way back and could possibly start Friday against the Royals. I know he's been out all year and he's probably super excited to come back, but I have absolutely zero excitement for this news. It's almost disappointment really, because I want to see Dan Meyer.

The A's host the White Sox again tonight as Joe Blanton tries to suck less than he did last time he pitched.

Go A's!!

No comments: